Tuesday 10 February 2015

Taking Stock


When I have attacks of mindless consumerism, I find it is a good idea to step away from all the pretty coats distractions and take stock – what are my real wardrobe needs at the moment?


Creating a functional wardrobe is all about being aware of what we already have and mindful about what we really need. It's knowing that all our tights from last Winter need replacement, but our Winter trousers don't because we ended up wearing skirts most of the time. It's knowing - and accepting - that buying a pair of Hobes as our casual cool-weather footwear, is probably not the best idea since they're not hardy enough for the rainy place we live in.

I am at a stage where I can, with a clear mind, recall most items in my wardrobe – and what condition they’re in. But in the midst of excitement around something new, all clarity goes out the window. I’ve recently found that, when that happens, pen a paper are all the technology I need. 

Writing things down helps me focus and achieve a level of awareness that I don’t have when I’m exposed to distractions such as newsletters from my favourite brands, emails announcing new items/promotions, instagram...All those little things that prevent me from thinking clearly about a purchase, and encourage me to obtain stuff that may not contribute to the functionality of my wardrobe.

What do I already have? What condition is it in? Will it last another season? How many new pairings can I create with it? These are some of the things I'm currently trying to answer, in the hope that it will help me make better decisions about what to buy this year. I suspect this may take me some time (and effort). 

But without a clear idea of what's going on, it will be a lot harder to make useful contributions towards my wardrobe - and easier to buy stuff that I will regret later! 

What about you? Have you taken stock of your wardrobe's state of affairs lately? How often do you do it?


2 comments:

  1. Keeping everything written down is a fabulous idea! Like a little fashion scrapbook. :)
    I know exactly what I have in my wardrobe, and it feels good to be able to say so because I've only been able to for about a year! Before that, I could get lost in all the clothes. My closet and my whole HOME has been minimalized and it feels awesome. I know what I own and therefore it's easy to know whether or not a new item is needed and if it will actually be used. Sometimes I do choose to buy something I don't really need (like a new purse), but only when I am agreeable to let go of the one I have.
    Great post! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have experienced the same - but I was lucky that I was moving across the world so it was easier to let go of things then. When we got here, it was more of a matter of keeping up with what we had achieved. It has been much easier to know what we have and the whole house feels less cluttered. When we decided to look at our wardrobe in that way, it was incredible how much easier things got, especially on busy mornings!

      Delete